Half Day Highlights Private Tour of Madrid with Prado Tickets
Operated by: Travel Curious
Explore the highlights of Madrid, Spain’s historic, vibrant and beautiful capital city on this half-day private walking tour, including entrance to the iconic Prado Museum. On your private tour you will:
- Enjoy the personalised attention of your private guide.
- See the main attractions of Madrid as you learn about the fascinating history of the city.
- Experience the grandeur and elegant atmosphere of the iconic Plaza Mayor, the beating heart of Madrid.
- Stop by famous monuments and wander down elegant boulevards, whilst basking in the sunny Spanish climate.
- Enjoy a guided walk around the beautifully manicured Parque el Retiro.
- Admire the myriad of stunning architectural styles in Madrid, from Baroque to Spanish Gothic.
- Learn about the history of the Spanish royal family and its links to the Papacy as you stand outside the Palacio Real, the royal palace – considered the most important Baroque palace in Spain.
- See the astonishing Catedral de la Almudena.
- Explore Plaza de Oriente, Teatro Real and the Market of San Miguel.
- Arrive at the Prado Museum, and enjoy access to your privately guided tour of this treasure trove of art.
- Admire the world-famous Spanish masters such as Bosch, Goya, El Greco, and Diego Velazquez.
- End your tour inside the Museum, to continue at your own leisure.
Madrid, Spain's stunning capital, is a vibrant city famous for its elegant boulevards and vast, dazzling Plazas like the portico-lined Plaza Mayor, in the heart of old Hapsburg Madrid. You’ll see vibrant food markets, awe-inspiring cathedrals, and statues of famous Spaniards. The city is also very green with expansive, manicured parks such as the Parque el Retiro, which you will visit: Enjoy strolling along as you bask in the sunny Spanish climate under fabulous blue skies!
Spain has one of the oldest and proudest royal families in Europe, and it remains a working monarchy to this day. Learn all about the history of the Spanish royals, like Ferdinand and Isabella, Philip II and many others, whilst standing in front of the magnificent Royal Palace.
The city is also famous for being a cultural hub, and is home to several museums – the most famous of which is of course the Prado, and your half-day highlights tour includes a fully guided tour of this repository of the best of Spanish art. Admire works by Goya and Velazquez, Bosch and El Greco among others – and let your guide know if you have any favourites or “must-sees”. You will end your tour inside the Prado to continue exploring at your leisure, explore the gift shop and enjoy a well-earned coffee break at the café.
Type of tour
Walking tour: no transportation is included
Timed entrance tickets to the Prado Museum
Gratuities, food & drink are not included.
Arty Farty, Couples, Culture Vulture, Family
Attractions along this route:
El Retiro Park
The green heart of Madrid, hosting an array of gardens and monuments.
Monument to Alfonso XII
An equestrian statue of the monarch in the centre of Buen Retiro Park, offering the best view over the lake.
Palacio de Cristal
The extraordinary glass and iron palace built to display the flora of the Philippines in 1887.
Palacio de Velázquez
This beautiful neoclassical building is an exhibition hall located in Buen Retiro Park.
San Jerónimo el Real
A 16th century Roman Catholic church with royal connections, now used by the Prado Museum.
This colossal square has hosted a variety of events over its 400 year history, from street markets to public executions.
Puerta del Sol
The centre of Madrid's New Year celebrations, and mile zero of Spain's network of roads.
Plaza de Oriente
A historic square with some fabulous sculptures, located right at the entrance to the Royal Palace.
Royal Palace of Madrid
Home to an astounding art collection, this palace is the official residence of the Spanish Royal Family and is today used for state ceremonies.
'El Real' is one of Europe's great theatres, and the major opera house of Madrid.
Spain's premier art museum, with a treasure trove of works dating as far back as the 12th century.
Las Meninas by Velázquez
This enigmatic painting is one of the crown jewels of the Prado collection.