The Best of the Vatican and St Peter's Basilica Private Tour
On this tour of the home of the Catholic Church, you will have the opportunity to visit the important landmarks with major significance to Catholics. Hear about the tumultuous history of the Church and the colourful popes who reside behind these sturdy walls. On your private tour, you will:
- Enjoy the personalised attention of a private tour guide.
- Discover the Highlights of the Vatican Museums, including the Pinecone courtyard, The Laocoön, the Room of the Maps, and Raphael Rooms.
- Marvel at the works of Michelangelo Buonarroti, including the Creation of Man and the Last Judgement in the Sistine Chapel, the ‘Sculpture of the Pieta' in St. Peter's and of course the magnificent Dome of the Basilica.
- St. Peter's Basilica, the largest church in the world, and see the precious marbles and artworks, including Bernini's famed Baldachin!
- Your tour ends at St Peter's Square, where you can keep exploring at your own leisure.
Vatican City is considered the centre of the Roman Catholic Church and is undoubtedly one of the most historically and culturally rich cities in the world. As the world’s smallest independent state, situated in the centre of Rome, Vatican City is home to the Swiss Guards – tasked with protecting the Pope; St. Peter’s Basilica – the centre of the Catholic world; St. Peter’s Square – a large plaza situated in front of St. Peter’s Basilica; Sistine Chapel – the official residence of the Pope; and Vatican Museums – home to paintings and sculptures collected by the Popes for hundreds of years.
The stunning St. Peter’s Basilica is the centrepiece of Vatican City, and its huge dome can be seen on the Roman skyline from most points in the city. Although not the mother church of the Catholic Church, it is its largest and holiest shrine and an important place of pilgrimage.
Then, your comprehensive tour of Vatican Museums will whisk you through the entire complex. Begin with a stroll through the impressive Belvedere Courtyard, before exploring the many rooms and galleries of the museums. Explore the Gallery of Tapestries, and the Gallery of Maps, and be mesmerised by Michelangelo’s great frescoes inside the Sistine Chapel.
3.5 hours 30 minutes
Type of tour
Walking tour – no transport costs are included. Your guide will help you get around on the day.
- - English-speaking Guide
- Timed entry tickets to the Vatican Museums
- - Gratuities optional
- Hotel pick-up and drop-off are not included
Culture Vulture, Family, Friends, History Buffs
Attractions along this route:
St. Peter's Basilica
The most important church in the Catholic world, and without doubt the most impressive.
A jaw-dropping Papal collection of art and artefacts.
Pieta' by Michelangelo
The Pietà or "The Pity" (1498–1499) is a work of Renaissance sculpture by Michelangelo Buonarroti, housed in St. Peter's Basilica, Vatican City.
First Main Courtyard in Vatican
The four Raphael Rooms form a suite of reception rooms in the Apostolic Palace.
Room of the Maps
The Gallery of Maps is a gallery located on the west side of the Belvedere Courtyard in the Vatican.
The Sistine Chapel is a chapel in the Apostolic Palace, in Vatican City and the official residence of the pope.