Secrets of the Royal Mile: Private 2-hour Walking Tour
- Instant Confirmation
- Private Tour
- 2.5 hr
Explore Edinburgh’s picturesque old town and the world-famous Royal Mile, a UNESCO World Heritage Site and the heart of Scotland's historic capital on this private 2-hour walking tour.
Operated by: Travel Curious
Explore the cobbled alleyways of the Royal Mile, uncovering the culture and history of Edinburgh's Old Town in the heart of Scotland's historic capital. Take a walk down the mile-long street in the Old Town of Edinburgh, which connects Edinburgh Castle and Holyrood Palace. The name was given to the location in the 15th century when King James IV began a royal palace at the bottom of Castlehill and undertook large-scale rebuilding along the route.
On your private 2-hour tour, you will:
On your private 2-hour tour, you will:
- Enjoy a walking tour of Edinburgh's old town with a private licensed guide;
- Enjoy a breathtaking view from the Vennel Viewpoint, a great place to snap a picture of Edinburgh Castle;
- Admire the Palace of Holyroodhouse and hear about political controversy outside the Scottish Parliament;
- Pass by the historic John Knox House and hear about its history;
- Walk along the iconic Royal Mile, and discuss the history of Edinburgh;
- Walkthrough the City Chambers, place of the City of Edinburgh Council and its predecessors;
- Walk by Victoria Street and see one of the most photographed locations in the city and hear about Harry Potter stories;
- Visit St Giles Cathedral, founded in 1124 by King David I with its famed crown spire;
- End your tour outside the entrance of Calton Hill, which you can climb up to explore at your own leisure.
This tour is the perfect introductory tour for anyone arriving in Edinburgh for the first time. On your tour, you will visit Edinburgh’s main thoroughfare running through Old Town, from Edinburgh Castle to the beautiful Palace of Holyrood house.
Be completely immersed in the rich Scottish history that is ever-present amongst the medieval labyrinth of cobblestone alleyways and tenements. Home to the fascinating St Giles Cathedral, Parliament Square and John Knox House, The Royal Mile is a UNESCO World Heritage Site full of secrets not to be missed.
Whilst exploring Old Town, one cannot help but notice Edinburgh Castle looming over the city. Your expert local guide will tell you about the fascinating history of this enigmatic fortress, including many of the bloody battles that took place here, such as the War of Independence between Scotland and England in the 14th Century, as well as its present-day use as headquarters for the Scottish Division.
Your tour finishes at Calton Hill, where we recommend you climb to explore the views at your own leisure.
2.5 hours 30 minutes
Type of tour
Walking tour: no transportation is included
- English Speaking Guide
- Gratuities optional
- Hotel pick-up and drop-off are not included
- Food & drinks are not included
Culture Vulture, Family, Friends, History Buffs
Attractions along this route:
The Royal Mile
The picturesque historic thoroughfare of the Old Town of Edinburgh.
For nearly 1000 years Edinburgh Castle has shaped Scottish history as both a royal residence and a military stronghold.
St Giles’ Cathedral
St Giles’ Cathedral has been at the spiritual heart of Edinburgh for over 900 years.
John Knox House
Rumoured to have been the home of the 16th century Protestant reformer, this historic house tells the story of the Reformation and life in Edinburgh 400 years ago.
Museum of Edinburgh
Edinburgh's treasure box - a maze of historic rooms full of objects from the capital’s past.
Crammed with monuments, Calton Hill is part of Edinburgh's UNESCO World Heritage Site and offers splendid views over the city.
Situated below Edinburgh Castle, the Grassmarket area was not only used for trading throughout the centuries but also for public executions.