Private Hike to Hollywood Sign, via Three Peaks
Most people only get a glimpse of L.A.’s famous Hollywood Sign from afar – now you can get an intimate look by hiking to it! Your epic hike to the sign on Mt. Lee is via the three peaks of Burbank Peak, Cahuenga Peak, and Mt. Lee in Griffith Park. This moderate hike will take you right up to the rear of the sign, with a gorgeous view of Los Angeles beyond. During your private, three-hour hike, you will:
- Meet your guide at the designated place along Lake Hollywood Drive.
- Take off on the Wonder View Trail towards the Hollywood Sign.
- Stop at Burbank Peak and the Wisdom Tree, with a break to rest, taking in gorgeous views of the Santa Monica Mountains.
- Reach Cahuenga Peak, the highest point in Griffith Park (at 1,820 feet).
- Stop at a clearing, and view plaques honouring Aileen Getty and Hugh Hefner.
- Reach the final stop at Mt. Lee Peak and the Hollywood Sign (at 1,708 feet); stay for up to 30 minutes for photo opportunities and fantastic views.
- Retrace your steps back to the trailhead.
The Hollywood Sign was first built in 1923 to promote a real estate development known as “Hollywoodland” on Mt. Lee’s southern slope. But the development never happened, and the land was purchased by broadcaster Tommy Lee in 1939, renaming the area to “Mt. Lee” after his father. Then, in 1949, the Hollywood Chamber of Commerce removed the last for letters and the remaining sign lives on today.
This is a one-way hike, 3 miles each way, and parts of the trail can be rocky, sandy and dusty. It is recommended that you wear close-toed walking shoes with good traction, preferably hiking shoes. Dress in layers, and bring a good windbreaker in case of strong winds at the top. Be sure to bring sunscreen, sunglasses and a hat for good measure. Also, please bring plenty of water (2 litres) as there is no water on the mountain. You are also welcome to bring snacks for energy, if you like. And don’t forget your camera!
Type of tour
Walking tour – no transport costs are included. Your guide will help you get around on the day.
No tickets required
Light snacks provided
Adventurous, Friends, Nature Lover
Attractions along this route:
The Hollywood Sign
Perhaps LA's most iconic image, the sign is no longer just a symbol of a place, but an entire lifestyle.
Wonder View Trail
Don't let its many signs deter you, the road to Wonder View trail is popular and heavily trafficked. You're in the right spot!
The first of three peaks along the trail, this spot allows you to see over the hills down into Burbank.
The Wisdom Tree
Part of an incomplete real estate development, the Wisdom Tree sits atop Burbank Peak.
The second of the three peaks on the trail, Cahuenga Peak is the highest point in Griffith Park, at 1820 feet above sea level.
Mount Lee is the hillside on which the famous 'Hollywood' sign sits. From here, you're atop LA and the sign itself.