CHIANG MAI: One Day Old City Tour & Temple

5 hr

E-Ticket

Instant Confirmation

Pickup Service

Group Tour

Highlight:

You will learn the history and temples of Chiang Mai and then you will be impressed to visit Chiang Mai.
CHIANG MAI: One Day Old City Tour & Temple photo 1 CHIANG MAI: One Day Old City Tour & Temple photo 2 CHIANG MAI: One Day Old City Tour & Temple photo 3 CHIANG MAI: One Day Old City Tour & Temple photo 4
View All
See more Images

Itinerary Details

Itinerary
This is a typical itinerary for this product

Stop At: Thapae Gate Lodge, 37/8 MoonMuang Rd Lane 2, Tambon Phra Sing, Amphoe Mueang Chiang Mai, Chang Wat Chiang Mai 50200, Thailand

The East Gate was named "Chiang Ruak Gate" after the nearby village. This changed to "Inner Tha Pae Gate" and then at the end of the 19th century, when the "Outer Tha Pae Gate" in the outer earthen embankment near Wat San Fang, was removed, the name was shortened to "Tha Pae Gate". The word "Tha" in Thai means harbour and "Pae" means floating house. Put the two together and you have "Tha Pae"; a harbour full of floating houses. The harbour was on the Mae Ping River near where the Nawarat Bridge now stands. The floating houses were the homes cum business premises of the river traders.

Duration: 30 minutes

Stop At: Pratu Chiang Mai, ถนนมูลเมือง Rat...
Itinerary
This is a typical itinerary for this product

Stop At: Thapae Gate Lodge, 37/8 MoonMuang Rd Lane 2, Tambon Phra Sing, Amphoe Mueang Chiang Mai, Chang Wat Chiang Mai 50200, Thailand

The East Gate was named "Chiang Ruak Gate" after the nearby village. This changed to "Inner Tha Pae Gate" and then at the end of the 19th century, when the "Outer Tha Pae Gate" in the outer earthen embankment near Wat San Fang, was removed, the name was shortened to "Tha Pae Gate". The word "Tha" in Thai means harbour and "Pae" means floating house. Put the two together and you have "Tha Pae"; a harbour full of floating houses. The harbour was on the Mae Ping River near where the Nawarat Bridge now stands. The floating houses were the homes cum business premises of the river traders.

Duration: 30 minutes

Stop At: Pratu Chiang Mai, ถนนมูลเมือง Rat Chiang Saen Rd, Tambon Phra Sing, Amphoe Mueang Chiang Mai, Chang Wat Chiang Mai 50200, Thailand

Chiang Mai gate located south of the Old City. Originally called the gate "Tai Muang", at first is the route was the way to Lamphun. The gate is the starting point of the Wualai Walking Street on Saturday. Chiang Mai Gate It is the gates of marketing is often visited by tourists in Chiang Mai. The market have minibus in front of market Chiangmai's people called "Songtheaw", to travel to the district in the south as Hang Dong, San Pa Tong, Mae Jam, Hot, etc.

Duration: 30 minutes

Stop At: Suan Dok Gate, Arak Rd. Tambon Si Phum, Chiang Mai 50200 Thailand

The West Gate has always been called "Suan Dok Gate". "Suan" means garden or park and "Dok" is shortened from "Dok Mai"; the Thai word for flower. Not far from this gate, just outside the city walls, there was a royal flower garden full of colourful and fragrant flowers and ponds of clear water. Kings and Rulers of Lannathai would go to the gardens with their families and royal retinue, to relax and enjoy themselves, and occasionally bathe in the ponds. In 1371 AD King Geu-Na dedicated a part of the gardens as a sanctuary for the priest Phra Maha Sumana and it was here that Wat Suan Dok was built.

Duration: 30 minutes

Stop At: Chang Phuak Gate (The Elephant Gate), Chiang Mai Thailand

The North Gate was called "Hua Vieng Gate" which means the first gate to enter the city. In Thai language "Hua" means head and in northern Thai "Vieng" is a fortified place. Around 1400 AD this name was changed to "Chang Puek", the "White Elephant Gate". Two events in Chiang Mai's history contributed to this change of name. The first occurred in 1386 AD. King Geu-Na, the eighth ruler of Chiang Mai, was the King who introduced Buddhism from Ceylon to Lannathai. Phra Maha Sumana Thera, a priest from Hariphunchai, had presented the King with some Buddha relics and the King wanted to find a holy place to bury them. To determine the most auspicious site, the King had the relics placed in a howdah on the back of a white elephant and then set it free. Followed by the King and Phra Sumana, the elephant left the city by the Hua Vieng Gate and walked up Doi Suthep until it came to rest at a spot on the hill that is now the location of Wat Phrathat Doi Suthep

Duration: 30 minutes

Stop At: Three Kings Monument, 127/7, Prapokkloa Road Si Phum, Chiang Mai 50200 Thailand

-Visit: Three Kings Monument ( to site for founding the capital of Lanna )

The Three Kings Monument, or Anusawari Sam Kasat, is located in the centre of the ancient walled city of Chiang Mai. Standing in front of the Chiang Mai City Art and Cultural Centre, formally the Provincial Administration Building, the Three Kings Monument was erected to immortalize the 3 Kings who together were responsible for the founding of Chiang Mai in 1296.

Duration: 30 minutes

Stop At: Wat Phra Singh, Singharat Road Phra Sing Subdistrict, Chiang Mai Thailand

Wat Phra Singh: was built in 1345 by King Pha Yu for the ashes of his faher, King Kham Fu. It may have been the first monastery to house the Emerald Buddha, which later resided in Wat Chedi Luang and is now enshrined in Wat Phra Kaew, Bangkok. The temple is named for the Buddha image it housed in 1367, the Phra Singh (Lion Buddha). The temple-monastery fell into disrepair as Chiang Mai's population declined in the 18th century, but restoration began in the early 19th century under Chao Kawila. The work continued under his successor, Chao Thammalangka, who commissioned the murals in Viharn Lai Kham.

Duration: 30 minutes

Stop At: Wat Chedi Luang Varavihara, 103 Phra Pok Klao Road Phra Singh, Chiang Mai 50200 Thailand

- Visit: Wat Chedi Luang

Wat Chedi Luang (Temple of the Big Stupa) is an impressive ruined temple in the center of Chiang Mai, northern Thailand, dating from the 14th and 15th centuries. King Saen Muang Ma (r.1385-1401) began construction on Wat Chedi Luang in 1391 to hold the ashes of his father, Ku Na. The building was expanded by later kings, reaching its final form in 1475. It was then given the great honor of housing the Emerald Buddha, the holiest religious object in Thailand (now kept in Wat Phra Kaew, Bangkok). At this time, Wat Chedi Luang rose to a height of 84m (280 ft.).

Duration: 30 minutes

Stop At: Wat Chiang Man, Ratchaphakhinai Road, Chiang Mai Thailand

-Visit: Wat Chiang Man

The oldest temple in Chiang Mai town, Wat Chiang Man was built in 1296 by King Mengrai of Lanna kingdom. The temple is famous for its Lanna-style chedi supported by rows of elephant-shaped buttresses. The beautiful Lanna-style ordination hall enshrines an ancient Buddha image named Phra Kaew Khao, revered by Chiang Mai locals. Wat Chiang Man is situated off of Ratchapakhinai Road in the northeast corner of the old city.

Duration: 30 minutes

Important Details

Included
  • Local English tour guide
  • Admission fees
  • Entry/Admission - Wat Phra Singh
  • Transfer round trip from - to your hotel
  • Entry/Admission - Wat Chiang Man
  • Accident insurance
  • Entry/Admission - Wat Chedi Luang Varavihara
Not Included
  • All expenses are not mention in program
Departure Point
Traveler pickup is offered
All hotel pickup are located in Chiang Mai City Center and in the list only others hotel not in list please contact service center.

8:30 AM
Additional Info
  • Confirmation will be received at time of booking
  • Not wheelchair accessible
  • Near public transportation
  • Infants must sit on laps
  • Most travelers can participate
  • This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund
  • This tour/activity will have a maximum of 12 travelers
Voucher Requirements

You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.

View Less

Cancellation Policy

For a full refund, cancel at least 48 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.