Private Tour in South of Lisbon - Beaches and Lunch in Meco Beach

1 Rating
  • Live Guide
  • Instant Confirmation
  • Day Trip
  • Pickup Service
  • Private Tour
  • E-Ticket

Get out of the city and spend a day on the coast during this private full-day tour of Meco Beach and the area south of Lisbon. Travel by comfortable, air-conditioned car to little-known areas with their own share of landmarks and gorgeous scenery. See the Shrine of Our Lady of Cape Espichel on the Setúbal peninsula and admire the lighthouse perched along the cliff edge. Look for dinosaur fossils and learn about the geological history of the area. Cap off the day with a trip to Meco Beach, the perfect place for a dip in the ocean and lunch in one of the local restaurants. Roundtrip transportation to and from your hotel in Lisbon is provided.

Itinerary Details

Operated by: abc Travel

This is a typical itinerary for this product

Pass By: 25 de Abril Bridge

A Ponte 25 de Abril é uma ponte suspensa rodoferroviária sobre o rio Tejo que liga a cidade de Lisboa (margem norte) à cidade de Almada (margem sul), em Portugal. A ponte atravessa o estuário do Tejo na parte final e mais estreita — o designado gargalo do Tejo. A Ponte tem 2 277 metros de comprimento. Com um vão livre de 1 013 metros, a Ponte 25 de Abril é a 33.ª maior ponte suspensa do mundo. O tabuleiro superior alberga 6 vias rodoviárias (3 por sentido), enquanto que o tabuleiro inferior alberga duas linhas ferroviárias eletrificadas a 25 kv AC. Projetos para a construção de uma ponte sobre o estuário do Tejo existem desde finais do século XIX; no entanto, apenas na década de 1950 o governo português do Estado Novo avançou com a construção de uma ponte para ligar as duas margens da área metropolitana de Lisboa. A construção começou em novembro de 1962 e prolongou-se por quatro anos. A Ponte foi inaugurada em 6 de agosto de 1966, então apenas com um tabuleiro rodoviário. Em 29 de julho de 1999 foi inaugurado o tabuleiro ferroviário.[1] A Ponte 25 de Abril foi concessionada à empresa privada Lusoponte em 1996, que também foi incumbida de construir a Ponte Vasco da Gama. A concessão destas duas pontes termina em março de 2030. Até 1974, a Ponte 25 de Abril chamava-se Ponte Salazar. O nome 25 de Abril faz alusão à revolução de 25 de Abril de 1974.

Stop At: Santuario Nacional de Cristo Rei

Fantastic view over Lisbon, over the Tagus River and over the 25 de Abril Bridge from the Cristo Rei hill, the ascent to the monument is optional and is not included. The National Shrine of Christ the King is located at an altitude of 133 meters above the Tagus level, consisting of a porch designed by the 75-meter-high architect Antonio Lino, topped by the statue of the Holy Redeemer with open arms facing the city of Lisbon, 28 meters high, by Portuguese sculptor Francisco Franco de Sousa. The pedestal, including the portico, rises to 82 meters in height. The sanctuary and monument to Christ the King is the biggest tourist attraction in the municipality of Almada. This monument is the best viewpoint overlooking the city of Lisbon, offering a wide view over the capital and the 25 de Abril Bridge. In numerous tourist reports about Lisbon the sanctuary and monument to Christ the King, ex-libris of Almada appears. It is one of the tallest buildings in Portugal, 110 meters high.

Duration: 30 minutes

Stop At: Cabo Espichel

Worship Mary in a monumental natural setting. The Sanctuary of Our Lady of Cape Espichel, also known as Nossa Senhora da Pedra Mua, is one of the most impressive sites in this region for its location and its remarkable natural architectural complex. Its worship dates back to 1410, when the venerated image of Our Lady of the Cape was discovered at the tip of Cape Espichel by two old men from Caparica and Alcabideche, who were given signs from Heaven in coinciding dreams. Until the start of the 18th century, the grounds around the primitive temple were encased by houses for the pilgrims who travelled there in pilgrimage to venerate the image. Built facing away from the sea, the current church was built by royal order between 1701 and 1707, its design by architect João Antunes. As of 1715, the heavy influx of pilgrims to the Cape forced the construction of two wings of inns with housing and shops, which were enlarged between 1745 and 1760. Later, a supply system including the aqueduct and the water house were built, and, after that, the Opera House, of which only ruins remain. Inside, you will find a number of valuable artistic relics, namely the altarpiece of the high altar in the national baroque style, which guards the image of the Lady of the Cape; the painted ceilings (done in 1740 by Lourenço da Cunha) and the 16th century paintings by the Master of Lourinhã, representing Saint James and Saint Anthony and which can be seen in the sacristy. Also deserving attention is the gallery located on the high altar, which was intended for royal visits. A few metres from the Sanctuary, on the cliffs, remains the little Hermitage of Memory, dating from the 15th century and built on the exact spot of the apparition. Its interior is lined with 18th century tile panels that depict the legend of the Lady of the Cape.

Duration: 1 hour

Stop At: Praia do Meco

Stop for lunch at Praia do Meco, glimpsing the Atlantic Ocean and the fantastic fine white sand. Right by the village of Meco, which provides its most popularly used name, Moinho de Baixo Beach was one of the first to establish a duly signposted and authorised area for naturism over an area that covers the Tramagueira Beach through to the Rio da Prata Beach, the last of the many beaches on the sands that begin at Costa de Caparica. The sea, which is quite frequently rough, provides good conditions for surfing, bodyboarding and windsurfing. After lunch you can enjoy the beach and the proximity to the sea lunch is not included.

Duration: 3 hour
This site uses cookies to improve your experience. By continuing to browse you agree to the use of cookies. Learn more in our Privacy Policy.