Prague Jewish Quarter Private Half-Day Walking Tour

13 Ratings
  • Live Guide
  • Instant Confirmation
  • Pickup Service
  • Private Tour
  • E-Ticket
  • 4 hr

This walking tour takes 4 hours. Entrance fee to the Jewish Museum is 32 EUR per person. For students 26 EUR per person. It is not included in the tour price. You can easily pay by credit card. Josefov in Prague is one of the most valuable Jewish sites in the world. One of the most visited museums in the whole world. The quiet and melancholy atmosphere of the Old Jewish Cemetery from 1439 A. D. leaves an incredelible impression. In the Pinkas synagogue, now a monument to victims of the Holocaust, the walls are hand-painted with the names of Czech and Moravian Jews who perished in the Second World War. Upstairs there is a breathtaking exposition of drawings made by children in Terezin. We are going to see all the synagogues, including an ortodox Old-New Synagogue. It is the oldest preserved synagogue in Europe from 1270 A. D. Oldest synagogue in the world outside of Izrael. Still serves as a house of prayers.

Itinerary Details

Operated by: Eva Prague Tours

This is a typical itinerary for this product

Stop At: The Old-New Synagogue

This is the oldest synagogues in Europe and oldest in the world outside of Izrael from 1270 A.D. It is still working synagogue so the services are kept inside till nowadays. Women are not allowed to be present at the services. They are separated from men in a different hall. They can only hear some of the words. We call it an orthodox synagogue.

Duration: 30 minutes

Stop At: Stary zidovsky Hrbitov

This is the oldest still preserved Jewish cemetery in Prague from 1439 A.D. It is the biggest rarity to see it in Prague. There are burried more then 100.000 people. People had to be burried on top of each other because of lack of space. In 1787 this cemetery was abolished by Joseph II. Habsburg.

Duration: 30 minutes

Stop At: Spanish Synagogue, Jewish Museum in Prague

Spanish Synagogue in Prague was built in 1868 to replace the oldest synagogue in Prague from the 12th century A.D. It is an oriental, moorish architectural style. Inside it reminds of Alhambra in Spain and that is why it is called Spanish. They like to present classical music concerts inside of this synagogue so it is also considered as a concert hall. From May 2019 Spanish synagogue will be closed for 2 years because off reconstruction.

Duration: 30 minutes

Stop At: Klausen Synagogue, Jewish Museum in Prague

The Klausen Synagogue is nowadays the largest synagogue in the former Prague Jewish ghetto and also a single example of an early Baroque synagogue in the area. Today the synagogue is administered by the Jewish Museum in Prague.

Duration: 30 minutes

Stop At: Pinkas Synagogue, Jewish Museum in Prague

The Pinkas Synagogue is the second oldest surviving synagogue in Prague. Its origins are connected with the Horowitz family, a renowned Jewish family in Prague. Today, the synagogue is administered by the Jewish Museum in Prague and commemorates about 79,000 Czech Jewish victims of the Shoah.

Duration: 30 minutes

Stop At: Maisel Synagogue

The Maisel synagogue was erected in 1592 on the basis of a privilege granted by Emperor Rudolf II. Its founder was Mordecai Maisel, the Mayor of the Prague Jewish Town. Built by Judah Tzoref de Herz and Josef Wahl, it was originally a Renaissance temple with three naves, which was unusual for its day. The synagogue burnt down in the ghetto fire of 1689 and was rebuilt several times. It acquired its current Neo-Gothic form by Prof. A Grotte in 1893-1905.

Duration: 45 minutes

Stop At: Zidovske Muzeum v Praze

Ceremonial Hall - located next to the Old Jewish Cemetery on the site of an old mortuary used by the Prague Burial Society (Hevrah Kaddisha), the Ceremonial Hall was built in the Neo-Romanesque style in 1906–08. The first floor once housed a room for the ritual washing of the dead; on the second floor was the burial society's club room. The building was used for its original purpose until the end of the First World War. It became part of the Jewish Museum in 1926.

Duration: 30 minutes
This site uses cookies to improve your experience. By continuing to browse you agree to the use of cookies. Learn more in our Privacy Policy.