Canal Cruise of Jordaan and Amsterdam Islands

226 Ratings
  • Audio Guide
  • Instant Confirmation
  • E-Ticket
  • 75 min

Off the beaten track and famous highlights of Amsterdam Cruise 75 minutes through a unique part of Amsterdam. The Jordaan is originally a working-class neighbourhood and is now the most charming area of Amsterdam. Directly situated next to the Jordaan are three islands. We are the only cruise that takes you past this most photogenic part of Amsterdam, truly undiscovered. After the cruise completely discovered by you. All explorers should get a glimpse of the real spirit of Amsterdam. How? Through the eyes of our famous Amsterdam singer and actor Harry Slinger

Itinerary Details

Operated by: Amsterdam Circle Line

This is a typical itinerary for this product

Pass By: Museum of the Canals

Adventure into Amsterdam’s past and present, through exploring the history of the city’s canals. Start your journey of discovery as you travel back 400 years at the Museum of the Canals.

Pass By: Anne Frank House

The Anne Frank House (Dutch: Anne Frank Huis) is a writer's house and biographical museum dedicated to Jewish wartime diarist Anne Frank. The building is located on a canal called the Prinsengracht, close to the Westerkerk, in central Amsterdam in the Netherlands. During World War II, Anne Frank hid from Nazi persecution with her family and four other people in hidden rooms at the rear of the 17th-century canal house, known as the Secret Annex (Dutch: Achterhuis). She did not survive the war but her wartime diary was published in 1947. Ten years later the Anne Frank Foundation was established to protect the property from developers who wanted to demolish the block

Pass By: Westerkerk

The Westerkerk is a Reformed church within Dutch Protestant Calvinism in central Amsterdam, Netherlands. It lies in the most western part of the Grachtengordel neighborhood, next to the Jordaan, between the Prinsengracht and Keizersgracht.

Pass By: Houseboat Museum

At the Houseboat Museum, you get the chance to experience first-hand what it’s like to live in a houseboat on an Amsterdam canal. The museum is located in the “Hendrika Maria”, a former cargo ship built in 1914. The cargo hold is now a cosy living space featuring all the conveniences and a surprising amount of space and comfort.

Pass By:

Leidsegracht is a canal in Amsterdam, the Netherlands. It is a cross-canal in Amsterdam-Center that connects Herengracht, Keizersgracht, Prinsengracht and Lijnbaansgracht and flows into the Singelgracht at Marnixstraat.

Pass By:

De Beulingsloot is one of the oldest and shortest canals in the center of Amsterdam. It is located within the Grachtengordel.

Pass By: Huis Bartolotti

The Bartolotti House is a canal house at Herengracht 170-172 in Amsterdam. It was built around 1617 for Willem van den Heuvel tot Beichlingen, one of the richest Amsterdammers at the time, who had inherited a lot of money from a childless uncle by marriage, Giovanni Battista Bartolotti, a merchant from Bologna.

Pass By:

The Melkmeisjesbrug is a fixed bridge in Amsterdam-Center. There has been a bridge here for centuries. Balthasar Florisz. van Berckenrode (1625), Joan Blaeu (1649) and Daniël Stalpaert (1662) signed her on their maps. The modern history of the bridge starts in 1883. A pedestrian drawbridge was then replaced by a permanent bridge. This was possible because shipping here had largely ended. Nevertheless, the passage turned out to be too narrow. The abutments and bridge were renewed in 1903 by the construction of a so-called paraboolligger bridge with iron sickle girders. The bridge looked slender and fit in well with the street scene. The new version of the bridge, this time made of steel, from 1966 also shows these properties. The bridge is named after the milk market that was once held here. Later a catering establishment was built here, which had an image of a milkmaid as a sign. The bridge is probably the place where the first (type) Amsterdammertje was placed.

Pass By: Brouwersgracht

The Brouwersgracht is a canal in Amsterdam that connects the Singel with the Singelgracht. The canal marks the northwestern border of the Grachtengordel (canal belt). Between the Prinsengracht and the Singelgracht the Brouwersgracht forms the northern border of the Jordaan neighborhood. The house numbers of the Lijnbaansgracht, the Prinsengracht, the Keizersgracht, the Herengracht and the Singel start to count from the Brouwersgracht. The Herenmarkt is located between Brouwersgracht no. 62 and no. 68, near the West-Indisch Huis (West Indies House). In 2007 Brouwersgracht was voted the most beautiful street in Amsterdam by readers of Het Parool out of 150 nominations.

Pass By:

The church was designed by Adriaan Dortsman (ca. 1636-1682) and was opened in 1671. In 1822 the church was nearly destroyed and was rebuilt in 1826. The organ was built by J Batz in 1830 and it was restored in 1983 by Flentrop Orgelbouw. In 1935 the Lutherans left the building and it became a concert hall. In 1975 a tunnel was built by the neighboring Sonesta Hotel, today called the Renaissance Amsterdam Hotel, for its own access.The hotel rents the church from the Lutheran church which is still the owner today. In 1983 the church was closed for restoration, but in 1993 the dome caught fire; the church was again restored.

Pass By: Centraal Station

Amsterdam Centraal was designed by Pierre Cuypers, who is also known for his design of the Rijksmuseum in Amsterdam. While Cuypers was the principal architect, it is believed that he focused mostly on the decoration of the station building and left the structural design to railway engineers.

Pass By: IJ

The IJ is a body of water, formerly a bay, in the Dutch province of North Holland. It is known for being Amsterdam's waterfront.

Pass By: EYE Film Institute Netherlands

The EYE Filmmuseum building is designed by Delugan Meissl Associated Architects, whose other projects include the Porsche Museum in Stuttgart. The building features two gallery exhibition spaces, one 300-seat cinema, two 127-seat cinemas, and a fourth intimate cinema of about 67 seats.

Pass By:

Westelijke Eilanden are three islands in the Centrum district of Amsterdam: Bickerseiland, Prinseneiland and Realeneiland. They are located to the south of the IJ and the Zeeheldenbuurt, to the north of the railway line between Central Station and Amsterdam-Sloterdijk, to the west of the Westerdok and to the east of the Planciusbuurt on the Westerkanaal. The Westelijke Eilanden form the core of the Golden Reael area, which also includes the adjacent Westerdok island, the Haarlemmerbuurt and the Planciusbuurt. The Westelijke Eilanden form a small world apart from the city. They are suitable for walks, which Joannes Antonides van der Goes recommended in a poem, Ystroom, as early as 1671. They are often used for filming. There have always been warehouses and shipyards on the Westelijke Eilanden. They formed an important part of the atmosphere on the islands, a combination of working and living. The islands are sometimes called the "Mokum Archipelago".

Pass By:

The canal is named after the salt factories that stood on both sides of the canal in the 17th and 18th centuries. The canal is already shown on the city map of Gerrit de Broen from 1737 as "Soutkeets Graft". These were sheds along the canal where the coarse salt was processed and made suitable for domestic use. The flour and bread factory "Holland" was also there for some time, but after the demolition of the factory new homes were built on the site.

Pass By:

The Teertuinen were created by the establishment of tar buyers and the construction of a number of warehouses. A number of warehouses had to make way for residential houses in the period after 1900. In 1893 a public primary school (Planciusschool, nicknamed bald nits school) was built at the end of the Nieuwe Teertuinen, at the corner of Tweede Breeuwerstraat. After the school was demolished in 1936, a depot was built for the City Cleaning, which was later replaced in around 1980 by the current houses. Another public primary school, first called Bickersschool and later also Planciusschool, was built in 1916 on the corner with Sloterdijkstraat. The school is now daycare center De Kleine Prins.

Pass By:

The architect of the Posthoornkerk was P.J.H. Cuypers, who designed the building in 1860. The church replaced the hidden church De Posthoorn on the Prinsengracht, from which the name was taken over, and was established in two phases; The choir, transept, crossing tower and nave were built between 1860 and 1863, while the church was completed with a two-tower front from 1887 to 1889. Because the church could not be built free-standing, it was made extra high. To make optimal use of the limited space, the church was provided with galleries above the side aisles on the inside. While the exterior is in neo-Gothic style, the late Romanesque Munsterkerk in Roermond was the model for the interior.

Pass By: The Amstel

The Amstel is a river in the province of North Holland in the Netherlands. It flows from the Aarkanaal and Drecht in Nieuwveen northwards, passing Uithoorn, Amstelveen, and Ouderkerk aan de Amstel, to the IJ in Amsterdam. Annually, the river is the location of the Liberation Day concert, Head of the River Amstel rowing match, and the Amsterdam Gay Pride boat parade. The Amstel was formed around 1050 BC when a freshwater river cut into a tidal channel of the IJ which are now Damrak and Rokin.

Pass By: Hermitage Amsterdam

Hermitage Amsterdam is a branch museum of the Hermitage Museum of Saint Petersburg, Russia, located on the banks of the Amstel river in Amsterdam. The museum is located in the former Amstelhof, a classical style building from 1681. The dependency displayed small exhibitions in the adjacent Neerlandia Building from 24 February 2004 until the main museum opened on 19 June 2009. It is currently the largest satellite of the Hermitage Museum, with a total area of 12,846 m2 and fits with the museum's plan to make its collections accessible to more people.The exhibition area covers 2,172 m2 and is contained within two large exhibition halls and smaller exhibition rooms. The remaining space holds lecture halls, offices and staff accommodations and a restaurant.

Pass By:

The Stopera is a building complex in Amsterdam, Netherlands, housing both the city hall of Amsterdam and the Dutch National Opera and Ballet, the principal opera house in Amsterdam that is home of Dutch National Opera, Dutch National Ballet and Holland Symfonia. The building was designed by Wilhelm Holzbauer and Cees Dam. The name is an abbreviation of the protest slogan "Stop the Opera" and not a portmanteau of "st"adhuis (Dutch: "city hall") and "opera" as is often claimed. Because the word 'Stopera' was a name for the protests against the building, the theater has never used this name in their communication.
This site uses cookies to improve your experience. By continuing to browse you agree to the use of cookies. Learn more in our Privacy Policy.