Cruise Shore Excursion - Private Tuk Tuk Tour to the Historic Center

2 Ratings
  • Live Guide
  • Instant Confirmation
  • Pickup Service
  • Private Tour
  • E-Ticket
  • 4 hr

Do you stop in Porto? This tour is made for you, we will pick you up from the cruise pier and from there we will proceed to the historic center, an informative and relaxed tour with brief stops at the main points and monuments. You will enjoy every minute spent on land!

Itinerary Details

This is a typical itinerary for this product

Pass By: She Changes (The Anemone)

The sculpture is designed to reflect Porto's and Matosinhos's seafaring and industrial heritage. The three support poles are painted to resemble the smokestacks and lighthouses in the area. The net structure is meant to reference the city's fishing industry.

Pass By: Farol Molhe do Douro

It's a hexagonal tower in ten-meter high in granite. It has a red balcony and lantern, and a small annex building with plastered walls painted white.

Pass By: Chafariz do Passeio Alegre

Built in the late nineteenth century benefitting from the participation of Emíle David who worked on its landscaping. Lined by a Palm Grove, it houses a variety of architectural features of great value: a granite fountain to the west, from the former S. Francisco Convent, two Nasoni obelisks, from Quinta da Prelada and a small "romantic chalet", which was built in 1874, before the completion of the Garden. The miniature golf course is a main attraction of the garden and philharmonic concerts are occasionally held in the bandstand. Lastly we highlight the public bathroom which was built in 1910 and is decorated with Art Nouveau tiles and English finishings.

Pass By: Ponte da Arrabida

The Arrábida Bridge is an arch bridge of reinforced concrete, that carries six lanes of traffic over the Douro River, between Porto and Vila Nova de Gaia; Engineered by the portuguese Engineer Edgar Cardoso; By 22 June 1963, the bridge was concluded and inaugurated. At the time of its completion, the bridge's main span of 270 metres (890 ft) was the largest of any concrete-arch bridge in the world.

Stop At: Passeio das Virtudes

The lane has an excellent view over the river, down to the river Douro mouth bar. In the foreground one can see the Fountain of Virtudes and the terraces that go all the way down to São Pedro de Miragaia. Along the river, it is possible to see the imposing building of the former Customs House.

Duration: 10 minutes

Pass By: Antiga Cadeia da Relacao

Granite building, dating from 1582, rebuilt in 1767 in neo-classical style, according to the design of the architect Eugénio dos Santos, by initiative of João de Almada e Melo and financed by Companhia Geral da Agrigultura das Vinhas do Alto Douro. It presents a geometric sequence of windows (103 on the whole). This polygonal-shaped building has 4 façades, two of which are related to its main functions: the main façade, on Rua de São Bento da Vitória, allows you to enter the Court sector. The other façade, opened to the Cordoaria Garden, was formerly constructed for the direct passage of prisoners and is currently the building's main entrance. Camilo Castelo Branco, who was one of Portugal's most famous writers and was charged with adultery as well as the famous Zé do Telhado who was charged with theft were kept here. Between 1999 and 2002 the building was restored under the direction of Eduardo Souto de Moura and Humberto Vieira, to become the current Portuguese Centre for Photography, including an exhibition centre.

Stop At: Jardim de Joao Chagas

Better known as Cordoaria Garden, this garden has been called João Chagas Garden since 1924. The name by which it is best known is due to the activity of the rope makers who stayed here - in the new rope maker's - for about 200 years. In the nineteenth century, the Municipality decided to transform the Praça da Cordoaria into a public area. The project, by the German landscaper Emile David, was built in 1865/1866. In the garden there are statues of Ramalho Ortigão and António Nobre and a set of sculptures by Juan Muñoz from 2001, as well as "O rapto de Ganímedes" (Kidnapping of Ganímedes). In the scope of Porto 2001, European Capital of Culture, this garden underwent remodelling.

Duration: 10 minutes

Stop At: Torre dos Clerigos

This baroque work by Nicolau Nasoni was built in the first half of the eighteenth century. The Clérigos Tower is one of the most emblematic monuments of the city of Porto. The panoramic view over the city and the river Douro which can be seen from the top of the tower makes the 240 step climb worth the effort. Capitalising on the recent work to renovate and reconvert one of the most significant buildings in the city of Porto, based on a project which rapidly resolved the restrictions on accessing the complex, a multi-sensory facility has been created which simulates the experience of climbing up the Torre dos Clérigos, which is accessible and available to all visitors. In the building of the Torre dos Clérigos, you'll find a part of the Brotherhood's holdings and the Christus Collection, taking you back to a time and space where art and religion complemented each other.

Duration: 20 minutes

Stop At: Livraria Lello

The building where the library is now located was inaugurated in 1906. Special mention goes to its beautiful Art Nouveau façade with neo-Gothic details. On the inside, the library is decorated in painted plaster imitating wood and presents a magnificent staircase linking it to the upper floor - one of the first reinforced concrete works in Porto. Also worthy of attention is the huge stained-glass skylight, bearing the library's monogram and motto: 'Decus in Labore'. In 2008, the English newspaper The Guardian considered this library the world's third most beautiful, as did the Lonely Planet in its guide "Lonely Planet's Best in Travel 2011", describing it as an 'Art Nouveau gem', and particularly mentioning its 'neo-Gothic shelves' and the 'lolloping red staircase'.

Duration: 20 minutes

Stop At: Fonte dos Leoes

The Fountain of the Lions (Portuguese: Fonte dos Leões), is a 19th-century fountain built by French company Compagnie Générale des Eaux pour l'Etranger. Cast by the Val d’Osne foundry in France, it is a copy, in most part, of the fountain in the Town Hall Square of Leicester, England

Duration: 10 minutes

Stop At: Igreja do Carmo

Church built in the second half of the eighteenth century. Due to its architecture and interior carvings, it is considered to be one of the most remarkable buildings of Porto rococo. In 1912, its lateral façade was covered with tiles. The drawings on those tiles were designed by Silvestre Silvestri. They are figurative compositions alluding to the cult of Nossa Senhora (Our Lady). Building designated national monument.

Duration: 10 minutes

Stop At: Igreja dos Carmelitas

Seventeenth century church whose classical façade dates from the 1850s. The project has been attributed to the architect/painter Nicolau Nasoni. The altarpiece, of Porto rococo style, was considered to be a stylistically revolutionary piece. Building designated national monument.

Duration: 10 minutes

Pass By: Praca de Carlos Alberto

During centuries it was called Praça dos Ferradores (Square of Blacksmiths), who had their workshops there.In the 18th century, the Palace of Viscondes de Balsemão was built in the east side of the Square. Rented out at a later time, it served as a guesthouse and hosted the king Charles Alber from Sardinia that came exiled to Porto. In his honour the Square bears its current name. In the garden's centre, a monument by Henrique Moreira remembers the Portuguese who died during the Great War 1914-18.

Pass By: Mosteiro de Sao Bento da Vitoria

Dating back the late sixteenth century, it was declared a National Monument in 1977, and is one of the most important religious buildings in the city. Between 1985 and 1990, the IPPAR submitted the Monastery for restoration, allowing its occupation by the Benedictine monks, the Porto National Orchestra and the Porto District Archives. In the scope of Porto 2001 - European Capital of Culture, the Noble Cloister was covered by an acoustic shell. In 2007, the State attributed to TNSJ (Teatro Nacional de S. João) a significant part of the building - east wing and part of south wing and the Noble Cloister where theatrical performances, concerts and special events from its programme are held, while still welcoming other initiatives of a different nature. The Monastery (Cloister) has a flexible capacity, depending on the nature of the activities to be held: Theatre/Concert: 320 people; Seated dinner: 500 people; Buffet Dinner / other initiatives: 700 people

Stop At: Igreja Paroquial de Nossa Senhora da Vitoria

The church began to be built in 1755, following the initiative of bishop D. Frei António de Sousa, and was finished in 1769. It was badly damaged during the Porto Siege and also by a fire in 1874 that destructed its main altar. Special mention goes to the wood carving of the altars, the pulpits and the valance of the main arch, designed and produced by the most remarkable artists of rococo in Porto - Francisco Pereira Campanhã and José Teixeira Guimarães. The sculpture of the Virgin on the main altar was made by the sculptor Soares dos Reis, except for its face that was ordered to a local saint-maker.

Duration: 10 minutes

Stop At: Miradouro da Vitoria

From the square next to this church, you can enjoy an interesting view of the Cathedral and the Bishop's Palace, over the houses of the parish of Vitória, as well as over the River Douro, the D. Luis I Bridge and the Gaia riverside.

Duration: 10 minutes

Pass By: Liberdade Square

In the18th century, in the place of the so called 'Campo das Hortas`, was inaugurated the Praça Nova (New Square) - the city's political and cultural centre. The City Hall stood on the northern side of the old square, and it was demolished when the Avenida dos Aliados was built. This wide avenue, flanked by a group of buildings from the 20s and 40s, is closed on the southern side by the Cardosas building (19th century), and at North by the City Hall. In the centre of the Praça da Liberdade (Liberty Square) stands the king's D. Pedro IV statue, inaugurated in 1866.

Pass By: Monumento a Dom Pedro IV

Made by Célestin Anatole Calmels (sculpture) and Joaquim da Costa Lima (architecture), this statue was unveiled in October 1866. The monument is made up of a base on which the two-sided pedestal stands. One of the surfaces show the donation of D. Pedro's heart to Porto's representatives, and the other represents the arrival in Mindelo. The statue that stands on the pedestal, which was cast in Belgium, represents D. Pedro offering the constitutional charter to the city.

Pass By:

The imposing architecture and its central character turn this Avenue into the city's "living room". It becomes a location of excellence where the people of Porto gather to celebrate special times. There are granite buildings, many of which are crowned with skylights, domes and pinnacles. It is marked by a large central square completely paved with granite cobblestones, where statues come to life and where the reflecting pool is worth highlighting. The City Hall is located at the head of the Avenida.

Stop At: Sao Bento Railway Station

Located in the centre of the city and built in the early 20th century, it has a glass and cast iron roof designed by the architect Marques da Silva. The lobby is covered with twenty thousand narrative tiles by the painter Jorge Colaço.

Duration: 15 minutes

Stop At: Porto Cathedral (Se Catedral)

Construction dating from the twelfth/thirteenth century, in Romanesque style, that has been enlarged and renewed over the years up to its final setting, in the twentieth century, resulting in an idealized reconstitution of the medieval cathedral. Special mention goes to: the Gothic São João Evangelista Chapel and the cloister, from the fourteenth century; the enlargement of the main chapel, the Santíssimo Sacramento Chapel and its silver altar, from the eighteenth century (mannerist); the eighteenth century Baroque frescos in the main chapel and the sacristy, by Nicolau Nasoni, and the tiles in the cloister, by Vital Rifarto; the sculpture in the Baptism Chapel, by Teixeira Lopes (father) from the nineteenth century.

Duration: 15 minutes

Stop At: Pelourinho Se Catedral Porto

Following the national policy imposed by the Estado Novo, the buildings surrounding the Cathedral, the Casa do Cabido and the Bishop's Palace, were demolished in 1940. A paved terrace was built instead, where a stone monument representing local government (pelourinho) was placed. The monument, which was constructed 1945, was reproduction of a drawing dating back to 1797.

Duration: 5 minutes

Stop At: Paco Episcopal

It was probably built in the 13th century, although it might be founded on an older construction. In 1737 it was remodelled; the changes were designed by Nicolau Nasoni, according to some authors. The main façade is open by a full arch flanked by pilasters and topped by a decorated fronton. The central window has a stone balustrade and the fronton - that exceeds the entablature - reveals the coat of arms of Bishop D. Rafael de Mendonça. The lateral façades present equally framed windows with magnificent frontons.

Duration: 10 minutes

Pass By: Jardim do Infante Dom Henrique

Existing since 1885, this square is surrounded by Mercado Ferreira Borges and Palácio da Bolsa, located in the historical center. Here, there is a small garden, under which an underground car park was built and a Monument to the Infante D. Henrique, inaugurated on the occasion of the 5th centenary of his death. Its construction started in 1894, was completed in 1900, and represents the triumph of Portuguese navigation and faith.

Pass By: Palacio da Bolsa

A National Monument, the Palácio da Bolsa (Stock Exchange Palace) is the property and headquarters of the Commercial Association of Porto. It was designed by Joaquim da Costa Lima in a neoclassical style in 1842. Situated in the historical centre, it is one of the most visited monuments with the famous Arabian Room being its major highlight. A Cultural and Conference Centre, the Stock Exchange Palace is a venue with unique conditions for hosting events and excellent initiatives. Included in the Urban Wine Route. Accessible for people with reduced mobility through a side entrance.

Pass By: Mercado Ferreira Borges

This market was built in 1885, by order of the City Council, in order to replace the old Mercado da Ribeira (Ribeira Market). It operated as a market for a very short period of time, having been used for various purposes. It represtents an important example of iron architecture in Porto, which was later renovated to become an entertainment venue, where Hard Club is now located.

Stop At: Igreja de Sao Francisco

The city's most important Gothic temple, whose construction began in the fourteenth century. It is one of the most important works of the Baroque, by its gilded interior from the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries. It was the exuberance of its gild carved wood work that led Count Raczinsky to describe it as the 'Church of Gold'. And, overwhelmed, he adds: 'The gild of this church is so beautiful and rich that goes far beyond everything I have seen in Portugal and in the whole world'. It is worth of notice the Tree of Jesse, as well as the catacombs. It is a National Monument since 1910 and World Cultural Heritage by UNESCO since 1996.

Duration: 15 minutes

Pass By: Ponte de Dom Luis I

Planned by the engineer Teófilo Seyrig, a disciple of Eiffel, it was inaugurated in 1886 and it is composed by two overlapping iron decks. The bridge has 395 metres long and 8 metres wide, and its arch is still considered to be the world's biggest one in forged iron. Nowadays the upper deck is used by the Metro of Porto, connecting the area of Porto's Cathedral to the Garden of Morro and to the Avenida da República in Vila Nova de Gaia.

Pass By: Ribeira Square

Cited already in 1389 as being of medieval origin, this square is thought to be one of the oldest in the city. A busy commercial centre, with tents serving as shops and a fish market, it came to the attention of João de Almada e Melo who set out to completely remodel the square in the 18th Century. The works carried out at this time by the Public Works Board, under the influence of John Whitehead, were financed by revenue from wine. Of his original plans, only the sides to the north, with its monumental Praça da Ribeira fountain, and the west were ever completed. The wall to the south was knocked down in 1821 and the medieval buildings along the east side survive to this day. Archaeological work in the 1980s led to the discovery of a 17th Century fountain. Reconstructed in its original location, it was crowned with a sculpture by José Rodrigues known popularly as the 'Cube of the Ribeira'. On the 24th of June 2000, a statute of St. John the Baptist by João Cutileiro was unveiled in a niche in the Praça da Ribeira fountain. A must see, with lots of exciting nightlife on offer as well. Included in the Urban Wine Route. Unfortunately this place is closed to vehicles.

Stop At: Mosteiro da Serra do Pilar

World Cultural Heritage, it started being built in 1538, and was concluded only around 1670. At first it was created in order to accommodate the Augustinian Friars of the Monastery of Grijó. Later, during the Civil War of 1832-1834, the liberal army settled in the monastery. As a result of the war and of the constant attacks it suffered, it was in a terrible state of disrepair and neglect, until in 1834 with the creation of the Royal Brotherhood of Lady of the Pilar, and later the Group of Friends of the Monastery of Serra do Pilar, in 1925, the whole building was recovered. The church, of circular plan, has the dome surrounded by a balcony; the cloister is also circular, with 36 Ionic columns, the only example in Portugal. From its grand terrace one can see the whole riverside area of Porto and Gaia until the Arrábida Bridge, and the historic center, with emphasis on the Cathedral and D. Luís I bridge. In the opposite direction one can see that the zone of Fontainhas and the São João bridge.

Duration: 15 minutes

Pass By: Ponte Infante D. Henrique

The bridge was inaugurated in 30 March 2003 following a project by the engineer Adão da Fonseca. It was built to replace the upper deck lane of the D. Luís I Bridge, used now by the metro line D . With a 371 metres long and 20 metres wide deck, it is a Maillart-type arch bridge, built at a high altitude level, presenting a span-rise ratio of 11,2, with a 280 m arch span - a world record, it is considered by the world experts to be one of the most elegant of its type. It connects the Fontaínhas area to the Parish of Oliveira do Douro in Vila Nova de Gaia.

Stop At: Praca da Batalha

On the southwest corner of the square was located the Porta do Cimo de Vila on the Fernando Wall. In the eighteenth century, the area underwent major transformations, and the wall was demolished. On the eastern side of the square we can see an emblazoned palace built at the end of the 18th century commissioned by José Anastácio da Silva da Fonseca, knight of Royal House. At the time of the Siege of Porto, the owners, who were Miguelists, abandoned the palace, which made the liberal government to establish there, using it for various public institutions. In 1842, it was returned to its former owners. It was the Post, Telegraph and Telephone Main Office throughout much of the 20th century. The square is, since 1866, dominated by the monument to D. Pedro V. In the square are also located the São João National Theatre and Cine-Teatro Batalha.

Duration: 5 minutes

Pass By: Teatro Nacional Sao Joao

This classic building was constructed in 1910 on top of the ruins of the Real Theatre which burned down in 1908. With stylistic emblems representing pain, quality, hate and love. The main façade is inspired by its renovation in the style of Luís XVI, which is typical of the early years of the 20th Century, namely in France. Designed by Marques da Silva, it is considered a building of public interest. His main objectives were the creation and presentation of theatre shows, of various genres, and the encouragement of better public availability of specialist, classic and contemporary theatre works, spanning through the national and international drama repertoire. As well as the National Theatre São João, head-office, the building connects the Carlos Alberto Theatre to the São Bento da Vitória monastery.

Pass By: Museu de Arte Sacra da Igreja de Santo Ildefonso

The church was constructed between 1709 and 1739. The façade is decorated with tiles by Jorge Colaço (1932), depicting scenes from the life of St. Ildefonso and allegories from the Eucharist. Inside, there is a baroque and rococo retable from the first half of the eighteenth century planned by Nicolau Nasoni.

Pass By: Rua Santa Catarina

This owes its planning to the visionary spirit of the Almadas whose restoration work brought a new brightness to the city of Porto in the second half of the 18th Century. The road was extended as far as Alameda da Aguardente, today's Praça Marquês de Pombal. Its imposing façades house some fine examples of the Art Nouveau style. Over 1500 metres long, the Rua de Santa Catarina, part of which has been pedestrianised, is the busiest shopping street in the city centre.

Pass By: Cafe Majestic

Founded in 1921, it is considered to be one of the most beautiful and representative examples of Art Nouveau in Porto exuding an atmosphere of luxury, refinement and well-being. Its inherent beauty and its importance in the life of the city of Porto have deservedly led it to be classified as a building of public interest in 1983 and as a cultural heritage site thus allowing a full renovation programme to be undertaken culminating in its reopening in 1994, inviting customers to relive the fascinating Belle Époque. In J.K Rowling's biography, written by Sean Smith, it said that when the writer was living in Porto she used to spend quite a long time at the Majestic, working on the first book of 'Harry Potter'.

Pass By: Capela das Almas

Chapel built at the beginning of the eighteenth century. From the same period is the image of Nossa Senhora das Almas (Our Lady of the Souls), which is inside. In 1929, the entire exterior was covered with tiles representing scenes from the life of St. Francis of Assisi and St. Catherine. Those tile panels were recovered in 1982.

Pass By: Mercado do Bolhao

The Bolhão Market is the most famous in the city and in 2006 it was classified as a place of public interest. Dating back to 1850, with a singular structure with two floors, it is characterised by the monumentality of its neoclassic architecture. On the exterior, the market is divided into a large number of shops, facing the four surrounding roads: Fernandes Tomás, to the North, Alexandre Braga, to the East, Formosa, to the South, and Sá da Bandeira to the West. Dedicated mainly at fresh products, its sellers are divided into different specialised sections, namely: fishmongers, butchers, green grocers and florists. Currently closed for refurbishment works.
This site uses cookies to improve your experience. By continuing to browse you agree to the use of cookies. Learn more in our Privacy Policy.